Monday, November 29, 2010

Greens, Glorious Greens

After rereading the last two blogs, I couldn't decide if this blog was about gardening or cooking!  At least, until someone pointed out to me that if you love cooking and eating then you love fresh vegetables.  I truly think the love of gardening came first and that the need to be creative with the abundance brought out the cook.  At least that is the way it happened with the mustard greens last week.  I had never cooked mustard greens.  So I put mustard greens in the search engine and off I went eagerly reading through the many recipes that popped up.  I think I already mentioned that my husband is a meat eater and I had already made him a vegetable soup with the kohlrabi.  So I decided to try a stir fry with a little beef in it.  I went to Reliable and round steak was the best buy so that is what I used.  I'm sure it would be good with chicken or tofu.

Beef and Mustard Stir Fry
The important thing with a stir fry is to get all the food prepped first.

¾ pound thinly sliced beef
1 lb. mustard greens washed and torn into bite sized pieces, stems removed
2 thinly sliced green onions
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp. mustard seeds

Mix.
1 cup of broth with
2 tbsp. cornstarch,
 2 tbsp. soy sauce and
1 tsp. of honey

Put 1 tbsp. of peanut or grapeseed oil in a frying pan with the mustard seed and heat until the seeds start to pop.  Add the mustard greens and fry until tender.  Remove to a bowl.


Put 1 more tsp of oil in the pan and stir fry the beef, onions and garlic until the beef is brown.  Put this in the bowl with the greens.

Restir the cornstarch mixture and put it in the frying pan and cook constantly stirring until it thickens.  Add the greens mixture back in a serve over hot cooked brown rice.




Look at the Streptacarpus now!  We are going to start leaf cuttings to make hanging baskets for the spring sale.  Come Monday around 10:00 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment